Tuesday 27 April 2010

Strength in Weakness

It's constantly amazing to me, how we get through things in life. 

A week ago, things looked daunting.  The Machinist had to go for an operation, Granny had to go for an operation, there were the prospect of long weeks ahead, full of events for The Daily Pie. 

Who would roll pastry with me? Who would bake pies with me?  Who would marinate and braise and slow cook meat fillings with me?  How could I take care of these two loved ones at the same time?

The washing machine broke down, the water pump played up and the electricity at the Shop was constantly tripping...

There was a multitude of other things, too. 

And yet....

My family pulled together and we got through it all....

The annual Pumpkin Festival is on this weekend, and we are expecting thousands of visitors to our tiny village of around 250.  We will be baking meat pies, sweet pies, pumpkin pies and serving pumpkin soup.  Pumpkin fever rages high, and I am tempted to enter a pie in the Pumpkin Pie competition. 

If there's time for such frivolity!

6 comments:

ADRIAN said...

I would enter only if you can be sure of a win!!
Things can only get better. I admire your stamina. Good luck in the future.

Vera said...

It is in the strength of a family that when things are tough going that they support each other. You are blessed in that you have such a family, and I hope that your pie making project goes from success to success.

Alan Burnett said...

Glad to hear that you are getting through all the various problems with the strength and resolve I would expect of a pie-maker such as yourself. Enter, you'll win (and if not, they're fools)

Ken Devine said...

Hi Helen
I suspect you can and will get through anything that's thrown at you.
What's wrong with frivolity? Go on, you know you want to.

Joyful said...

Glad to hear your are all pulling together and getting through it all. Somehow it just helps to plug through it all. I'm sure you will be a big success with the festival and your new pie shop. Hugs

Queen "B" said...

Aloha Sweet friend,
I have missed my visits with you!, crazy month but I found a few minutes to see how your doing.
If I was closer, I'd bake with you anytime girlfriend, you can count on me.
My light was on last night did you see me?lol...
All my Aloha
Brandi

CATERPILLARS & KEEPING IT REAL

 Table talk amongst our children is and always has been, -  a rabbit warren . We start off in one hole and end up in another -  quick smart....