Monday 4 January 2010

An Organiser's Dilemma

Woke at 3.26am this morning.  Who needs an alarm?  Our son, Sam, starts work in town (temporarily, as part of our BIG plan) at 5am and the Machinist or myself drives him in.  Sam will be staying at a friend's house for his 3 days 'on'.  When I ask the Machinist 'who will be taking Sam tomorrow?', he always responds "Whoever is awake".  Well, that's an easy one; - it's always me that's awake - before the cock crows (not that we have a cockerel - just very generous hens).  The Machinist has this knack of being able to spring out of bed at the last minute, wash his face and ready in a flash to take his turn by driving Number One Son into work.  This talent never fails to make me smile...

I cannot go back to sleep until the Machinist has returned home - safe and sound - and use this time for reading or blogging.  One of this morning's 'visits' was with a gal I've known for years - who wrote about her recent malady: an 'organising bug'.  Now I know this may sound freakish, but I LOVE to organise and clean.  It brings me great peace when I know where things are.  However, at the moment, I have to shut my eyes to disorder, as this is what I see each day, as I enter the room which I now use as an office for both businesses; our old schoolroom:


These are the smaller items we've collected for the pie shop.  Some of them are brand new, some second hand.  Some are great bargains off Ebay.  I can't wait to move them to the Shop and free up so much space here at home.


Sometimes, I can't remember what we have stored in all of these boxes.  I know what we still need to purchase, though. 




Well, at least I can see the mixing bowls, a few pie pallets and the cash register.  Ka-ching!

All the larger equipment is kept either in the barn, on our back deck, out the front of the Machine Shop or inside the Machine Shop.  The Machinist and I have this 'knowing', that soon, very soon... we will be rewarded with our respective 'work areas' and lots of space back again...

Can't wait!!

4 comments:

JPT said...

Good luck.

French Fancy... said...

Glad I'm not the only one awake at an unearthly hour - but, after I've let the dogs out at 05.30 and then given them their brekkie, I do go back to bed with a cuppa and a book. It's become quite a habit and means I can even sometimes get another hour or so asleep.

Here's to the opening

Vera said...

I like to be up reasonably early so I can get a head start to the day, otherwise the day seems to run away with me, and I can quite connect with you about needing to know where things are. Since moving here eighteen months ago 99% of our possessions have stayed boxed up, which quite frankly often gets on my nerves. Sort of makes my head feel scrambled! But at least you will get sorted out soon, and be on your way to being a super duper baker person.

Helen said...

FF and Vera - there are many postitive reasons to getting up early, aren't there? The only trouble with it is I get hungrier earlier. Ha! And so - I eat more. Sometimes, when I go back to sleep, I feel even more tired and often wonder if others get this too.

CATERPILLARS & KEEPING IT REAL

 Table talk amongst our children is and always has been, -  a rabbit warren . We start off in one hole and end up in another -  quick smart....